Pre-consultation is a voluntary pre-application step for building permit applicants. During the application process, applicants can choose whether to have pre-consultation for their building plans. After selecting the application type (building permit), category, work type, and target for the draft application, Cloudpermit allows you to decide if you wish to have the "pre-consultation" step for your plans. In that case, you will be directed to the "pre-consultation" workspace to complete your request.
- Click "Create a New Application" in your dashboard.
- Give a name for your project and click "Next".
- From the drop-down menus, choose a province (state) and municipality. Cloudpermit displays the property address and other information alongside the map. Click "Next."
- Select a "Building Permit" for an application type.
- Choose a project type, category, work type, and target.
- Cloudpermit will now ask you if you want to participate in the pre-consultation. Click "Next" after enabling the pre-consultation toggle switch.
- The summary view includes the data you have inputted to your application. If you wish to change something in your application, click "Back" to return to the previous workspaces. Alternatively, click the "Finish and Create" button to enter the pre-consultation workspace.
Filling out the pre-consultation request
- You will be directed to the pre-consultation workspace. The information text at the top of the workspace will instruct you on completing the request. The red dots in the sections of the workspace indicate which data must be completed before submitting the request. These red spots in the workspace will disappear once you have filled out the missing data.
- Click on the form in the "Project Data" section to open it. You will be directed to the form view. Typically, all fields marked with a red asterisk (*) are required in forms. Once you have filled in the missing data, Cloudpermit automatically saves your changes to the document, so you can enter the Project Data section by clicking "Back to Workspace" on the form
- You have now filled out the required forms and signed them digitally.
- Scroll up to the pre-consultation workspace. The information field states if the request requires any roles or attachments to be added. The example below shows that an Agent role is required for the application. You can add the missing roles in the Parties to the Application section.
- In the Parties to the Application section, click the "pencil" symbol on the party card to enter it.
- Select the missing party from the "Select role(s)*" drop-down list to add it to the party card. You can add as many roles as needed. The selection is not limited.
- Once you have all required roles in the party card, click "Close."
- Scroll down to Attachments. In this section, you can upload all plans and documents that you think may be beneficial for understanding your building project. See instructions here.
- Once all required data has been completed in the request, you are ready to click "Request Pre-Consultation".
- Your pre-consultation request will be submitted to your municipal building department. The next step will be the process phase. The municipal building authority will begin reviewing your request. The pre-consultation usually includes pre-consultation meeting(s) with all involved parties. The municipal authority will send a pre-consultation meeting invite through Cloudpermit to all parties and third-party organizations during the process phase. You will be notified by email.